35 things I am grateful for on this, the first day of my 35th year.
here we go, in no particular order…
(edit: it has been pointed out to me I forgot numbers 3 and 9. Ooops! Fixed now.)
1. My husband. Amazing. ‘Nuff said.
2. My family. (Vast and enormous, impossible to count or quantify. But you know who you are.)
4. Good friends. Many of whom showed up for a party this weekend and did not mock me about my high school picture being in the paper. Okay, they didn’t mock me TOO much.
5. Good health, and the health of the people I love.
7. Being done writing for the time being. (I need a break, I am so burned out. I don’t even want to write my NAME.)
8. Birthday cake.
9. Tom Waits: “Rain Dogs.” My favorite album, hands down.
10. Summer. (Even though it is thickly humid outside and supposed to hit 90 today. Yes!)
11. Eastern North Carolina Barbecue. (We have PILES of it left over in the fridge from the party. And fried chicken. God help me.)
12. Gilmore Girls on DVD. (Yes, I am addicted. Thank you for that. No, really: thank you.)
13. The Gap clearance rack.
14. Coffee. (In any and all variations.)
15. The Wonder Spot, by Melissa Bank. Pretty much the best book I read all year. Run, do not walk, to your local bookstore and get it. Fantastic.
16. New flip flops.
17. Sex and the City on DVD. (I’m rewatching it, season by season. Just because I can!)
19. Cape Cod.
20. Starting Over. (Now in reruns, but still informative. Be a good day, people!)
23. The New Foo Fighters Song, “Best of You.” (See #18, above.)
24. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie, which I intend to see very soon. Finally a good movie to look forward to!
25. The sound of frogs chirping outside, at dusk. Nice.
26. Having next year off from teaching.
27. Devilled eggs. (Of course. Like I’d leave them off!)
28. Babies. Don’t have my own yet, but I’ve been around several lately, and they’re just so wonderful.
29. Knock-knock jokes.
30. Red zinnias. I bought two pots at Whole Foods, and the deer haven’t eaten them. Yet.
31. The smell of honeysuckle, which reminds me of summer and home, two of my very favorite things.
32. Ice cream sundaes, with the works: whipped cream, cherry, nuts and hot fudge.
34. Fireflies, shooting stars, necklace clasps, fountains, yellow lights: anything that gives you a chance to make a wish.
35. This journal, and YOU: for all the comments you left in the last entry, all the comments ALWAYS. Thank you.
I could go on and on, but for once, I won’t. Instead, I’m going to sign off and go jump into this year with full intention. Right after I have a hot beverage (see #14).