The Friday Five (special post-winter event edition!)
1. This morning, the groundhog did NOT see his shadow. Which means we won’t have six more weeks of winter. This is great news, but does not explain why it’s going to be f-f-f-freezing here next week: one day, we may get down to ten degrees. Hello? Does this mean I’ll be able to wear my new flip flops (currently enshrined in my closet, where I regularly pass by and gaze at them longingly) by March? Here’s hoping.
2. According to my local paper, Little Children is opening SOMEWHERE in this area this weekend. Finally. Can I find it on the movie section of my Google Homepage, though? No. Which means I have to get on the phone and CALL the two theaters where I suspect it MIGHT be playing, which is just oh-so-1995. I mean, you can find footage of your tenth grade chorus recital on YouTube, but not the times for movies in a theater less than twenty minutes away. What’s up with that? (And what’s up with all the complaining? Two out of five, even. Better get positive, and quick. So…)
3. Once again, you all come through for me, big time. Thanks so much for the response to my recipe dilemma from yesterday. Now, it looks like I’ll be making artichoke dip and hot cheese dip for the Superbowl. I am so excited (about the food) I can’t even tell you. However, my friend who is hosting the party just sent an email, detailing all the big issues and players of the game, and I did not recognize ONE NAME. How embarrassing. I mean, I can tell you just about every guest star who was ever on 90210, as well as the roles they played (Matthew Perry, tortured tennis prodigy! Denise Richards, horny wedding guest!) and yet not know a single thing about the Bears or the Colts. Even worse, until yesterday, I thought the Colts were still in Baltimore. Shame, shame, shame. Oh, well. Hopefully at least my dips will be good.
4. One more thing to thank all of you for: my current, overwhelming addiction to The Office. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I’m about halfway through the second season on DVD and already I’m dreading finishing it, because then what? Do I buy the episodes from this year from iTunes? Just jump in now, in February, as they run? Or try to wait, and avoid all spoilers (good luck with that, right?) until the next season is out on DVD? I’m trying to pace myself, only watching one a night, to make them last, but it’s so hard because they’re like bon bons, perfect and little and go down so easily. God help me. Like I need another show to be obsessed with.
5. I might not be able to find Little Children (not that I’m complaining, though!) but no worries: also opening today is Mandy Moore’s new movie, Because I Said So, also starring Diane Keaton AND Lauren Graham. Lorelei, Mandy AND Annie Hall in one movie? And that’s even without the fact that it’s directed by the same guy who did Heathers, one of my favorite movies of all time. Bring on the popcorn. I’m ready.