The Friday Five…
1. Anna Nicole Smith is dead. This is a HUGE story, all over the news. I don’t think Gerald Ford got this much coverage. (Okay, maybe HE did. But you get my point.) Twice this morning I’ve heard various talking heads say, “Why was she famous?” and the answers seem to vary, everything from her rags-to-riches life to the fact that she was kind of a trainwreck, and America loves a good trainwreck. Personally, I remember first hearing about her when she did these gorgeous Guess jeans ads, back when I was in high school. She was so beautiful. I’ve been looking all over, trying to find them, but I can’t. So you’ll just have to take my word for it. It is a sad story, though. I feel bad for her little baby, left behind. What a mess.
2. Speaking of messes, I don’t think I’ve ever been depressed by ANYTHING as much as I was by Grey’s Anatomy last night. I know it’s part one of a three part series, I get they had to leave us hanging, but there was just NOTHING uplifting there. Man. And now we have to wait another week, in this low state? There better be a happy ending for someone. Please?
3. Hey, Rebecca Schooley from Maine! Thanks for the nice comment about my books. Unfortunately, due to demand, I can’t email everyone directly, but I appreciate you taking the time to write. (And thanks to the various people who have pointed out that you can email me through my website, www.sarahdessen.com.) And even though I’m unable to respond to each one, I read every single comment here, and every email I get. It means more than you know.
4. So I went to this baby shower last weekend, and there were these cupcakes there. Now, I’ve written here about my cupcake fixation, as well as my constant quest for the perfect cupcake, i.e. one where both the cake AND the icing are good. Well: I’ve found them. These are, pretty much, the best cupcakes ever. (Except for maybe my friend Courtney’s, which are a different category, as they are homemade, not bought in a store.) These are from a place called Caroline Cafe and Catering, and OH MY GOD. I have had one every day for the last four days, which absolutely CANNOT continue. But I swear, it’s like finding the holy grail, that good. Look no further! They’re here! God help me.
5. I can thank Courtney, also, for reminding me of the redemptive power of this clip from Muriel’s Wedding. Toni Collette! Rachel Griffiths! ABBA! What more do you want from your Friday?
Feel better already, don’t you?