The Friday Five! (Special first day of June edition!)
1. This weekend, two of my very favorite people are getting married. To each other, no less, and who can ask for more than that? I’m a reader in the wedding, and I was very flattered to be asked, but I have to admit: I’m a little nervous. Which is just SO weird, because getting up and reading in front of people is pretty much, you know, what I do. But it’s one thing to read from my own books, another to read something else, especially something from the Bible, which is what I’m doing tomorrow. I’m just hoping I don’t accidentally blurt out something sacrilegious purely out of nervousness. Fingers crossed!
2. Today is the fortieth anniversary of the release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, which has been hailed as the best album ever made. Now, there are a lot of things that get hyped for no reason, but this is not one of them. If you’ve never heard of it (and if that’s the case, where, exactly, have you been?) you must run, not walk, to your local record store and pick up a copy. You won’t be sorry. I’ve been sitting here trying to think of my favorite song off of it, but it’s really hard. I love “She’s Leaving Home,” which is just so sad, but also “Eleanor Rigby,” (oops! I stand corrected, it’s not on this album! I blame old age: see below). Then of course there’s “A Day in the Life,” which you can spend hours listening to and trying to figure out, and I did, at one point. Not much in the world is perfect, but this comes pretty close. And it’s looking pretty good for forty, which is something I can only hope will be said about me in, um, about three years.
3. Yep: the birthday is looming. I’m going to be 37 next week, and all I can say is…how did THIS happen? I mean, time is just flying. And at 37, there’s no way to still squint and kind of see yourself closer to 35, and that mid point. I am squarely looking down my fourth decade now, and it’s really surreal. How in the world am I still writing about teenagers at this age? The mind boggles. Then again, there is a 7 in this year, and that’s my lucky number, so I really can’t complain. 27 was a good year. I think? God, I’m so old I don’t even remember.
4. Meanwhile, it is June 1st, and in honor of that, I’ve decided I’m going to (try) and implement some summer hours, as it were, on this blog. I’ve been trying really hard to update five days a week, without fail, but as the lazy days roll in I’m feeling like maybe that might get a little harder. So occasionally, I may not be here every single Monday through Friday, taking the occasional break to go fishing (as it were) or just spare you something inane that I wrote because I couldn’t think of anything else. I know once the baby comes my entries will become erratic for sure, so maybe this is a good way for me to ease into that. I guess we’ll find out, right?
5. Finally, because it IS June, the month of weddings, this clip. Maybe you’re not going to any weddings this season, in which case, this will be just enough to make you feel as though you were. And while you watch, think a good thought for me in the hopes I don’t follow suit, mistakes-wise, this weekend. Holy spicket, indeed!