The Friday Five (Special pre Fourth of July Edition!)
1. Yesterday I went to the grocery store, where I bought…Fritos. Fritos! What on earth is going on here? It’s like I don’t even know myself anymore. God help me with this glucose test today, I fear I will flunk it immediately. Wish me luck.
2. As I am writing this, Coco keeps bringing toys and dropping them at my feet, then looking up at me expectantly. She ALWAYS does this when I’m at the computer, and it makes me feel beyond guilty, totally Cat’s In the Cradle and all that. (That is a WAY dated reference. If you got it, good for you!) By the time I get up, my chair will be surrounded by stuffed chickens, tug toys, and a few plastic nylabones. Oh, the guilt. Let’s hope I don’t ignore the baby this way, someone will report me.
3. Two big pieces of news today. First, the iPhone goes on sale: according to our news, people are already lined up at the Apple store, even though they won’t start selling them until tonight. Now, I love my iPod, don’t get me wrong. But I’d be nervous to buy one of these right out of the gate, preferring to wait until they go through a couple more versions, get the glitches out. Still, it does look pretty cool. Not NEARLY as cool, though, as the fact that The Spice Girls are Reuniting. Who would have thought it? (Okay, well, maybe it was inevitable.) And Baby Spice is pregnant! Oh, how they’ve grown. Sigh.
4. It’s been getting harder and harder to get comfortable sleeping—extra weight, can’t lay on my back, all that—so the other day I went to Target and splurged on a memory foam mattress topper. Oh.My.God. As if I needed ANOTHER reason to not want to leave my bed. You just kind of…sink in, and then don’t want to get out. I could honestly see myself spending ALL my time on my bed now, which is not a good thing. Although it is so hot that I guess there are worse places. That’s me, in bed, eating Fritos, for the duration of the summer. Not a pretty picture, I know.
5. You know when you’re convinced of something, but someone doubts you, and then you find out you’re right and you feel all vindicated? It rarely happens to me, so I have to enjoy it when it does. I was at the car wash the other day (I am very car involved lately, it seems) and VH1 was on in the waiting room. There was a girl behind the register, high school aged, who was singing along to every single video they were showing: clearly, she’d seen them all a million times, whereas I have seen, like, none, as I guess I’m spending too much time in bed eating fritos. Anyway, this new Fergie video came on, and I was watching it, and I thought for SURE that Milo Ventimiglia was in it. I said to her, “Isn’t that the guy from Heroes?” and she looked doubtful and said, “I don’t watch that show.” We stared at the screen another moment. Then I said, “Well, he used to be on Gilmore Girls, he played Jess.” She said, “Oh, that I watched. That’s not him, I don’t think.” And I figured, well, she’s the expert. But then, today, I googled him and sure enough, I was right. Victory! On a side note, who would have thought he’d look so good with tattoos? I mean, I was always partial to Jess, but yowza. I think Rory might have left Logan for him if he was sporting this look last season when they crossed paths. Take that, Huntzberger!