The Friday Five! (Special 3:15 pm edition!)
1. Thanks to everyone who left comments about my last entry concerning Just Listen being challenged in Florida. Your comments were, as always, smart and thought provoking. I think that’s the whole point here, in the end: that a discussion of an issue like this benefits everyone, if only because we all get to have our say. We don’t all have to agree, as long as we get the chance to state our case. That’s all anyone really wants, right?
2. Blog entries may be sporadic at best over the next couple of weeks, as I am TRYING to get caught up and deal with the holidays at the same time. Thank God for online shopping, is all I have to say. Also Target, which I hit this morning, leaving a sleeping baby with my husband, and knocked a bunch of stuff off my list (while also buying many things that weren’t, but such is the way with Target, at least in my experience). It’s still really warm here, which makes it seem like summer, not Christmas. For those of you frozen or digging out up North or out West, though, I feel for you. Stay warm! I wish I could send some of this weird balminess up your way.
3. Every year, we have a huge holiday party. We’ve been doing it for ages, it’s one of our only serious traditions, and so we really didn’t think twice about doing it this year. And yet, when I sent out my annual invites, everyone seemed really surprised. “You’re doing the party this year?” they asked. “With the baby?” Which made me suddenly think I should be more nervous than I am. I mean, maybe it’s crazy to have all these people here this weekend, and someone bringing a band, and expect to be able to pull it off with Sasha in tow. But it’s kind of too late to change my mind, so I guess I’m just going to go for it. It can’t be too crazy, right? (Don’t answer that.)
4. I think I’ve written here before about how my dogs are, well, kind of high maintenance. They’re a little crazy, bark a lot, and are basically spoiled rotten (not that this is their fault, it’s ours, entirely). Anyway, we’ve always had this big fenced in yard for them to run in, but lately they’ve been so insane that we decided to follow the Dog Whisperer’s advice and start walking them more. For those of you who don’t watch The Dog Whisperer, he’s a big believer that walks teach dogs their place, and help them to be more secure in the world and therefore behave better. I wasn’t sure how much I agreed with it until we tried it and….they’re so much calmer. I swear, even one twenty minute walk makes SUCH a difference. It’s like a miracle. Plus, it gets me out of the house too, which makes ME less high strung, also something that benefits everyone in the household. It’s a win-win!
5. Finally, in honor of the holiday, and because of my aforementioned lack of holiday spirit, last night I took drastic measures and brought out the big guns: Love, Actually. I know I’ve written here before about how much I love this movie, and how it always gets me in that Christmasey kind of mood. And sure enough, it worked.
have a good weekend, everyone!