The Friday Five! (Special February 8th posted on February 7th edition!)
1. This week, I came to the realization that I am completely overwhelmed. Despite my tendency to try and do so, I just can’t do everything I used to do, exactly how I used to do it, AND be a good mom. And when I try, I just end up doing lots of things very badly. So, finally, I’ve decided to streamline. Delegate. Prioritize. And just Let Some Things Go. This is so, so hard for me, as I am a total perfectionist, and at moments still think that I can do it all, if I just try a little harder. But it’s no fun for anyone if I’m crazy, so maybe it’s time to try a new approach. Who’s with me?
2. Thanks to EVERYONE for the kind words about the first chapter of Lock and Key. I’m so excited about this book, and finally being able to start sharing it with the world. Especially because this time last year, I was in the absolute WORST part of the first draft, when I wanted to crawl under my desk and die. So if you happen to be struggling with your book right now, and feel like you’ll never get through it, take heart. A year from now, everything will be different. And that’s always reassuring, isn’t it?
3. My Tar Heels lost to Duke, which sucked. Even worse, I stayed up to WATCH them lose, then had to get up with the baby at 5:30 am. But oh, well. The thing is, she’s just so cheerful in the morning, you can’t even be annoyed. I mean, who else but a baby wakes up smiling when the sun isn’t even up yet? I know I don’t. And yet, she’s still so happy to see me anyway. Thank God for babies, they do wonders for your self esteem.
4. Today, at the drugstore, I just stood in the candy aisle, looking at all the stuff they had out for Valentine’s Day, and PINED for chocolate. I don’t have a point here. Just wanted to share.
5. So maybe you can tell this has been a bit of a stressful week. I was thinking about this as I was singing some songs to Sasha tonight, trying to remember all the ones I liked from when I was a kid. There are a bunch from the Muppet Movie, and then, of course, there’s Free To Be You and Me, which I love, love, love. I had a hard time deciding which clip to put here, but I figured this one might help out anyone else who has just been feeling a bit defeated lately. Let it out! Rosie Grier does.