The Friday Five! (Special Please God Don’t Let Me Get the Flu Edition!)
1. I am so paranoid about getting sick, it’s…sick. The top stories on both the local and national news today were about how the flu is so bad this year, it’s everywhere, and even if you got a flu shot—which I did, this year, for the first time ever!—you can still get it. I mean, it’s not like I ever enjoyed being sick. But with a baby in the house, crawling into bed for however long to get better would not be an option. Which means I am working all my healthy mojo, all the time. Stay away, germs!
2. The Oscars are this weekend, and I am trying to get excited, even though I have seen hardly any of the movies nominated. I did get to Juno, and I have Ratatouille on DVD for the weekend, so at least that’s something. But I REALLY want to see Atonement, and There Will Be Blood, although I guess I’ll have to wait for the DVDs. It’s not like I can stay up for the whole Oscar thing anyway. I’ll just have to do what I always do, Tivo it and then avoid all news programs the next morning until I can fast forward and find out the winners. At least the red carpet is early.
3. I am still trying so, so hard to get back to reading. Whenever I have a moment, I am diving into Jennifer Weiner’s Certain Girls, which is just as good as I want it to be, and after that I have on deck a book called Gossip of the Starlings by Julia de Garmont, which is coming out in June and looks AWESOME. Truth be told, though, right now the only books I am reading regularly are Goodnight Moon and, Sasha’s personal favorite, Hippos Go Berserk, which I can completely recite from start to finish. “One hippo, alone once more, misses the other forty-four…..”
4. There is a new bakery in downtown Chapel Hill, and I hear they have cupcakes. Now, I’ve written here about what I believe are the best cupcakes in Chapel Hill, the ones at Cafe Carolina, but that does not mean that I am adverse to trying new ones. I mean, there are worse things to have on your To Do list, right? But they will have to be pretty darn good to beat the CC ones. Challenge on!
5. Finally, in honor of Oscar weekend—and the only Best Picture nominee I’ve seen—I give you this clip. BUT TAKE NOTE: if you haven’t yet seen Juno, don’t watch it, okay? Save it for the big screen. If you have, though, then maybe, like me, it will make you feel a little warmer inside. Which hopefully is not a sign of fever. No, no, no!