The Friday Five!
1. Today is the official opening of Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, based on the GREAT book by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. The movie looks fantastic, and I can’t wait to play hooky from revisions to run out and see it. (And it’s not really like playing hooky, right? It’s work related! Sort of.) I am lucky enough to know both David and Rachel and I just hope they have a GREAT, exciting day and enjoy it for all it’s worth. The day How To Deal came out was one of the best of my life, so exciting. What a ride!
2. Speaking of books, I’ve continued my fascination with celebrity memoirs, having listened to Christopher Ciccone’s Life With My Sister Madonna on my iPod on the way to and from the beach. This book was actually much better than I expected. I thought it would be a typical sell-out memoir, full of dish and gossip, but it’s really clear how much he loves his sister, even as he’s telling things you know she probably wishes he wouldn’t. I’m also reading Tom Perrotta’s The Wishbones, which is FANTASTIC. I keep thinking that eventually, I will read a Tom Perrotta book that is not as good as the others, because most authors do have one. But no. They are ALL SO GOOD, and I just marvel at how he does it. Maybe someday I’ll get to stalk him, fangirl style, and ask. I hope so.
3. The left hand SHIFT key on my laptop continues to act up, which is making my revisions for Along For The Ride that much more challenging. It’s like adding another skill level to something that’s already difficult. I keep having to press down REALLY hard to capitalize, which distracts me from the writing, and then I have to immerse myself again. At least until I start another sentence. I’ll say it again: at least things aren’t dull, though, right?
4. I finally got around to Project Runway, and I don’t think it’s giving anything away to say that I thought it was sort of anticlimactic. I mean, I thought we were narrowing down, but then they threw in this twist (the same as last season) at the end. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m having trouble picking someone to really pull for this season. Right now, I’m leaning towards Jerrell, but I don’t have the big love for him that I did for Christian, or Chloe, or Daniel V. Maybe the Bryant Park stuff will seal the deal? In other TV news, I haven’t yet gotten to Friday Night Lights: I’m saving it to savor slowly, over the weekend, when I should probably be pressing down hard on my SHIFT key and revising.
5. It’s official, I can’t deny it: fall is here. It’s been downright COLD the last couple of mornings, and today when we were out at 7am, I was freezing until we started jogging. Now, I’m no runner. I’ve always been a walker, with maybe some intervals. But my husband has been pushing me a bit. We started with a mile, and today we pushed it up to a mile and a half. I know, I know. For some of you, that’s not even a warmup. But for me, it’s HUGE. I never thought of myself as able to run ANY distance, so it makes me really proud. Even though I, um, complained a lot, at least at the beginning. Gotta find a way to do it without the whining. I think I’ll put it on my list with meeting Tom Perrotta and fixing my SHIFT key (it took me three tries to capitalize that! Really!)