The Friday Five!
1. First: Project Runway. If you haven’t watched the finale yet, STOP reading and skip down now. Okay? Okay. So….Leanne. I have to admit I was not as thrilled by her collection as everyone else. I actually like Korto’s better, if only because there was more variety. But as my cousin Abi pointed out, Leanne’s DID look really pretty going down the runway. Really, I feel like this season was a little limp across the board, maybe because it’s the last one before they jump to Lifetime. Suffice to say every time they showed Christian sitting by the runway, I felt a little jump of excitement, which reminded me how rare that had been this season. Still, I love the show, will follow it wherever it goes. And next up: Top Chef. YAY!
2. Yesterday, I did a little reading for Teaching Books, which they have now posted on their website: you can check it out here. In it, I introduce Lock and Key, and read a short excerpt. I was strangely nervous about this, all day long yesterday. Maybe because it’s been SO long since I’ve done any publicity stuff, and I always worry I’m rusty. In the end, it went fine (although I hate how my voice sounds, but I think a lot of people do. Hate how their voice sounds, not mine. Or maybe they hate mine too. Who knows?) Anyway, it’s good practice, because on the 28th, I’m doing an event for The Monti in Chapel Hill where I have to get up and tell a true story without notes in front of a bunch of people. Am I crazy? Quite possibly. But there you go.
3. I know everyone is sick about hearing how I spent my week cleaning out and organizing. (Today: I recycled hangers! I know, I know, it’s just TOO exciting!) But here’s one last thing that I found, organizing-wise, that I am loving. It’s Mint.com, and if you are one of those people, like me, who loves to balance their checkbook and geek out on their finances, this is the site for you. It gathers all your info, confidentially and securely, and gives you graphs and pie charts and budgets and….oh, my! I heard about it on GMA this week and now I check it every day. I know this isn’t the best time, financially, but it gives you this weird sense of control, which is always a good thing. Or maybe that’s just me.
4. The National Book Award nominees were announced on Wednesday, and I was SO excited that I know two of them, Laurie Halse Anderson and E. Lockhart. Congrats to them both, and all the finalists. So exciting!
5. Blogging may be a bit sporadic next week, as I am heading out of town for a few days for business and fun. I’ll return Wednesday, and so will this page. By then I’ll most likely be totally disorganized again, but no matter. This little burst of productivity can carry me all the way to the spring, if I work it right.