The Friday Five!
1. Last night, we had our first annual Self-Employed Corporate Christmas Party. I’d been talking to some people about how, since I became self employed, there are certain things I miss about having an actual workplace. One is the social aspect, although this blog, Twitter and Facebook are somewhat of a subsitute. My husband has his own company, as does my friend Dana, so we decided we’d have our own little party, in the corporate style. I made hot appetizers, we got a deli platter. Dana and I dressed up, and we had a raffle with door prizes. We considered gathering around our water crock, in true company style, but ultimately decided against it. All in all, it was really fun. Plus, I got to wear my favorite heels, which I NEVER have much cause for in my normal, Dansko-clog and jeans daily existence. And did I mention the hot appetizers?
2. Speaking of Facebook, I got a message there from Kelly, who is a regular reader of this blog. Her dog, Sam, is a finalist in the USA Today Top Dog contest, and she was hoping I’d give him a little plug here, so he might garner a few more votes. I went and checked out the page, and he is one cute dog. I mean, who doesn’t love a dog in a smoking jacket? To check Sam out and give him YOUR vote, go here. There’s a little arrow beneath the picture you can click on to vote. Go, Sam, go!
3. I wrote here the other day about how I’ve been trying hard not to get super stressed out during the holidays. I have also been on a bit of a tear with the whole organizing thing, so it’s a good thing that my friend Geralin, organizing expert extraordinaire, has gotten herself her very own LJ. She’s at metrozing, and her tips are just GREAT. Especially the recent one about learning to say NO to additional commitments when you are already too booked up and stressed out. I am working on that one as we speak. Wish me luck…
4. In other news, I bought a scale this week. This is kind of a big step, as I have always resisted having one in the house, as I worry I might over-obsess about it. I just know myself, and I can see that, given the chance, I would start to weigh myself constantly and kind of fixate on the number and whether it’s going up or down. However, I have been trying to make some diet changes for my health, not weight—giving up fried foods (except for those, um, hot appetizers), and trying to avoid Fritos when I can. Plus I’d really like to lose the last couple of pregnancy pounds I’ve been carrying around. So now I can weigh myself. Or not, right? It’s all about OPTIONS. And that’s a good thing, as our friend Martha would say.
5. Finally, blogging will be a little sporadic until the new year, as I’m taking and making time to spend with my friends and family. I hope to update here and there when I can, but I might be too busy either eating Fritos or weighing myself. (I jest! I jest!) Anyway, I wish you all the very best of holidays, lots of good cheer and good folks around you. I wish you snow if you want it, and sunshine if you don’t, peace in your life and joy in your heart. It’s not an easy time for a lot of people right now, so it’s that much more important to be grateful for all the good things we have. I am grateful for all of you and the companionship and community you’ve given me this year, and so many others.