1. Okay, I know it’s Thursday afternoon. But I had a few minutes and so here I am. Plus, it’s going to be FREEZING tomorrow morning (I know it is already, where much of you are) so I will mostly likely be focused on conserving body heat and not coming up with witty, fun things to say.
2. So: I got a Mac. I did! I’ve had it for about a week now, and am still learning my way around. I must admit if is VERY pretty and runs very well, although I do feel occasionally like an idiot when I can’t figure out something really basic, like, say, how to SELECT ALL. (It’s command+A, but I am embarrassed to tell you how long it took me to figure that out.) Part of the problem was that I forgot to look at the manual that came with it until I’d had it an entire weekend. D’oh! But everything I’ve ever learned, computer-wise, has been trial and error, so it’s all good. I’m even writing this on a Mac Livejournal client, although I haven’t quite figured out how to use it, either. I think there’s a way to preview/save drafts/etc, somewhere. Again: work in progress.
3. Speaking of work, a box of tip-in sheets arrived today for me to sign for Along for the Ride. These are the single sheets which will then be inserted into the hardbacks so they can be sold as signed copies. Regular readers will remember that in the last months of my pregnancy, I signed THOUSANDS of these sheets. I signed them while I watched Friday Night Lights, and House, and while I ate cookies. And I signed a lot of them when my mom was in the hospital and very sick and I needed something totally mindless to focus on, because I didn’t want to think about what might happen to her. This time, though, it’s not nearly so many of them, probably because Penguin remembered I, um, never finished all the ones they sent me last time. I mean, I had a baby! But still. I am warming up my wrist as we speak. Then, later, I’ll plop down in front of the TV with my pen and GO!
4. On the TV front, somehow I missed that the finale of Friday Night Lights was last night. What? I am so confused. It just kind of disappeared, and then it’s back and now it’s over? What’s up with that? Clearly I need to go check my DirecTV setup to get to the bottom of this. If I missed it, and can’t catch it again, I will literally CRY. All over my tip in sheets.
5. Lastly, I FINALLY got around to watching American Teen, the documentary, last night. It was SO GOOD. Now, I admit I am a bit biased as I like things having to do with high school. (Go figure.) But seeing all these kids going through their senior year…it was just really compelling. And shocking at times. I mean, I never knew anyone who sent a guy a naked pic of themselves. Yikes! I related the most to Hannah, the girl who wanted to be a filmmaker and felt like she didn’t quite fit in anyplace. Like her, I got dumped at the very beginning of senior year, and it CRUSHED me. For serious. Like, going to school was really, really hard and I’d see my ex and just want to hightail it to the parking lot. Unfortunately (or, actually fortunately) me missing school because of this was out of the question. So I just perservered, and eventually things got better. I am such a nerd, because I kept trying to tell Hannah this last night while I was watching. “It’s okay!” I said to the TV, “Just go in once, and endure it, and you’ll be all right!” My husband, on the computer in the other room, kept saying, “What?” and I’d tell him I wasn’t talking to him, I was talking to the TV. Which sounds kind of psycho, now that I think about it. Like I said, I feel strongly about high school. Too strongly, clearly.