1. This weekend, February will be over and March begins. I know it’s kind of mean, but I always seem to hold everything I hate about winter against February. Maybe because it’s the last all-cold month (usually) and by then I’m sick of the season altogether. Maybe because it’s just usually dreary, without much fun going on. Whatever the reason, we ain’t besties. (If you really want to hate February, go listen to Dar Williams’ song of the same name. It will put you into a downward spiral, like, instantly. ) But March! March is the beginning of hope for Spring. March is spring break, and bulbs blooming, and summer finally in the distance, albeit still a ways off. Ah, March. You will probably whallop me with an ice storm just for anticipating you so, but I am still your fool.
2. In other news, a great feat: I went to Sephora the other day and bought ONE lipstick. ONE! A single item! Granted, it’s partially because I have discovered I have some kind of reaction to just about every lipstick EXCEPT Stila brand, but still. I feel it is worth noting.
3. While at Sephora, I also hit one of those inside mall baby playspaces for the first time. I have to say…whoa. It’s quite the experience. Lots of toddlers running wild across a padded surface, while harried moms and dads and nannies look on, most of them clutching large Starbucks cups. My daughter is not at an age where she actually plays with other kids: she mostly just stares at them, fascinated. But we climbed and crawled and ran and did the whole deal. I still often feel like I’m in this weird middle ground of Mommyhood. I’m not full time at work or at home, so I don’t know where I fit in. Maybe nowhere, and that’s not such a bad thing. But what is it about walking into a playspace full of moms that so reminded me of walking into the lunchroom in junior high? I have no idea. But it kind of rattled me. Still, we’ll definitely go again. It’s right by Sephora, after all.
4. My painters are now working on the front of the house, which gives me more breathing space when I write. On the flip side, it’s made me realize that NONE of our bathrooms are on the back of the house. Who knew? So everytime I go into a bathroom for anything now, I have to remind myself to LOOK UP and see if anyone is staring down at me. It’s a little unnerving. But such is the price of home improvement, I suppose.
5. Finally, another great achievement. I could not manage to stay up for the finale of Top Chef on Wednesday night, because I am lame. So yesterday, I endeavored ALL DAY to avoid finding out who won. I didn’t visit Google News (which is my homepage) or Perez or any of the other TV blogs I normally do. It was not easy. And in case YOU have not watched it yet, I won’t ruin the results. Suffice to say, I was happy with the outcome, although I could have been happier. Isn’t that always the way?
Have a great beginning of March, everyone!