1. How is it already Friday? I swear, I am so out of it. Maybe because yesterday I FINALLY used the gift certificate to this totally great spa that my husband gave me for my birthday. Oh, my God. I had a massage, a facial and a pedicure AND lunch and then—instead of going home to take a huge nap like I should have—I went to Target, where I wandered in a total daze and bought nothing I needed. Is there such a thing as being too relaxed? If so, I think I was there. And it was NICE, especially considering my normal hyper-anxious state. Ahhh.
2. I know I am so late to this, but I finally finished watched the 16 and Pregnant reunion show, and can I just say that Catelynn and Tyler seriously had me in tears? I mean, all of those kids are walking a rough road, but those two, with adoption and giving up the baby and being able to be so selfless and think of her, and only her….whew. I was kind of blown away, to be honest. I did notice, though, how Dr. Drew kept coming back to the birth control issue, repeatedly, and I wonder if it’s because the show’s been criticized a bit by people who think they are glamorizing teen pregnancy. I don’t know about that. Some of the footage I watched showed how hard taking care of a newborn can be, even if you aren’t a kid yourself. It isn’t that glamorous, to say the least. Whoa.
3. Okay, so somehow, it’s August tomorrow. August! The dog days of summer, officially, although I am clinging to every day, as even in my dazed state at Target I could not miss all the notebooks and pens front and center, with sunscreen already relegated to clearance. No! Please, no. I leave for the beach tomorrow, as I mentioned earlier this week, and it’s the first time I’ve gone to the NC Coast during the actual beach season in ages. I always wait until September, or even October, because I’m cheap and I hate crowds. But this year, in order to really make my August last, I’m braving the cost and traffic and going for it. I’m bringing my baby, a babysitter (!) and a stack of books I may actually get to read. It’s still summer! It is!
4. Our garden is still going great guns, and you know what that means: tomatoes. LOTS of tomatoes. They are all over our counter, crowding the windowsills, romas and big boys and grape and sungolds. I’ve already made three batches of sauce, and now I’m wondering what else I can do them. Laurie Halse Anderson told me that one year she sliced her tomatoes, froze them on a flat tray, then put them in vacuum packed bags for use all winter long. Which means buying a vacuum sealer, but I have a feeling I would TOTALLY love to have one because I am that much of a dork. In the meantime, though, I need some more tomato recipes. Someone already sent me a great one for tomato-basil-mozzarella salad, and we do bruschetta, but that still leaves, like, hundreds of tomatoes. Salsa, maybe? Lots of salsa….
5. As I said, I’ll be on vacation next week, so blogging may be sporadic or maybe even nonexistent. These last couple of weeks have been so nuts, with the surgery and hospital stay and everything else. But one thing I did realize is that when I was stuck in that hospital, and couldn’t check my phone or internet or voice mail that I …survived. I could be disconnected and sometimes even like it, which is kind of revolutionary because honestly, I’m kind of addicted to technology. But also in the hospital, without my phone or email, I had a lot of time to think about things. Like how hard I’d been working, and not necessarily enjoying my life as much as I should, always thinking ahead, ahead, to the next thing, unable to just be kind of present and happy there. Sound like anyone else you know who went to the beach and kind of changed for the better? Yeah, I noticed that too. I don’t know if I’ll meet a haunted boy on a BMX bike, and I certainly won’t be staying up all night. But I do plan to make up for some lost, frivolous time. Might even have a food fight. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Have a great weekend, everyone!