1. I’ll go ahead and apologize right now for any typos or nonsensical sentences that might follow in this entry. I am running on just a TAD too little sleep today. Last night, my dog Coco started acting weird, like her stomach was hurt and she couldn’t get comfortable. We watched her for awhile, and she really didn’t seem like herself, so I packed her up and took her to the emergency vet. (Our dogs ALWAYS get sick after hours or on weekends. It’s, like, their thing.) Anyway, two hours later, it was decided that she MIGHT have an intestinal blockage and needed to stay overnight. I came home, worried, collapsed into bed….and then my daughter woke up about an hour later, for no reason I could tell. I finally got us all back to sleep, but I was worried about dog and child and so now feel like I have been hit by a bus. I can catch a few winks when babysitter comes in six and a half hours. Not that I am counting or anything. The good news is, Coco seems to be on the mend and will hopefully be home later today. I bet she is tired too.
2. Halloween is tomorrow, and while I’ve had Sasha’s costume planned for weeks, I just recently realized I might need one as well. Honestly, though, I’m not much of a Halloween person. I did it up in elementary, middle and high school, and some of college, but since then I’ve kind of sat the whole thing out. Now, though, I have a kid who is very aware of Halloween (thanks to Gabba Gabba, among other things) so we’re doing a few more things to celebrate. We’ll carve a pumpkin tonight, and head out to a more populated neighborhood to hit a few houses tomorrow. I figure I have a LOT of candy-filled Halloweens ahead of me. This might be my last year to keep things relatively simple. And I am all about simple these days.
3. So, Friday Night Lights was awesome on Wednesday night. But my joy in the return of Coach Taylor and Tim Riggins was tempered by knowing that so many of my FNL loving friends didn’t get to watch, because they don’t get DirectTV. Sure, the episodes will run on NBC later. But it still stinks. I mean, COME ON NBC! Can’t you, like, run the eps a week behind, on Friday night, or someplace you have something totally crappy on right now? (I know you must have something crappy on, but I am not about to point fingers. That’s bad karma.) This show needs all the support it can get, and better sooner than later. Just my two cents. Don’t make me go off in more of a rant!
4. This week, I also finished my latest audio book, The Kids Are Alright, by the Welch family. I’ve been listening exclusively to nonfiction, but decided to take a shot at a novel next, so I downloaded The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski. Honestly, I’m having a harder time with it on audio than I have with any of my memoirs or nonfiction stuff. And I don’t know why. Maybe because in the car it’s so stop and start, as I run errands, and nonfiction lends itself better to that? I have heard SUCH good things about this book that I don’t want to ruin it by listening rather than reading. On the other hand, I have so little time to read lately that it could take me years to finish it. Sigh.
5. Finally, a confession: I started this entry back at about 6:15am. For the last hour, I keep coming back to this number five, trying to think of something to write. But I’ll be honest. I have nothing. I am so tired and my brain is mushy and I think I need to crawl back in bed for a few minutes and reset. So can you do me a favor, and insert something witty, thoughtful and full of closure here? I appreciate it.
Have a good weekend, everyone!