1. Okay, so as I am writing this, it is snowing outside. WHAT? I know! They predicted maybe a little bit of freezing rain, or wet snow—or as my husband calls it, snain—but now it’s actually accumulating, whatever it is. I am doing deep, calming breathing to control my frustration. My driveway just got melted! My snow heap finally fully collapsed! And now….oh, I can’t even think about it. Quick, change the subject….
2. I know you Duke fans are probably waiting for me to comment on my Tarheels losing again last night. And I should probably say something about how we’ve now dropped five out of our last six games, and how we may not even make it to a rec center playoff at this point, much less the NIT. But I am already discouraged enough this morning, so I’m going to just deny, deny, deny. Sigh.
3. Speaking of sports—or, um, not speaking of sports—the Superbowl is this weekend, and while I’m not a big fan of football, I do love Superbowl food. It’s all about the menu, as far as I am concerned. Right now, we’re planning a big deli platter, some chicken wings (both real and vegetarian, thanks to Morningstar Farms) guacamole and a seven layer dip. Personally, I’ve been working hard on my weight loss goal for the last couple of weeks, and doing pretty well, so I don’t want to blow it all in one day of indulgence. So I am looking up some more healthy options, like hummus and vegetables, and baked chips and the like. As much fun as Velveeta, melted with bacon added? Nope. Oh, who am I kidding. It’s the Superbowl! Maybe if I just take a LITTLE taste of everything…..
4. Ooh, ooh! The snow/snain has stopped! Woo-hoo! Now it looks like we’ll just be getting…..two inches or more of rain. Huh. Well, at least you can drive in the rain, right? Things are looking up! Quick, let me check, is my team still in a losing tailspin? Um….yes. Oh, well. I guess you can’t have everything.
5. Regular readers of this blog know that I am kind of a purse person. Okay, I’m also a lipgloss person, and a shoe person, and a TV person. But I really do like purses. Back in my pre-Mommy days, I had a dangerous purse habit: I loved Kate Spade leather, and had a really nice Coach bag coveted for months before finally finding one I could justify buying on Ebay. Now that I am toting more juiceboxes and cracker bags than compacts and mascara tubes, though, I kind of needed to change my ways. I mean, in the last couple of months, I have TWICE upended drinks directly into my bag: first a cup of coffee, and then, yesterday, Sasha’s half-fully Safe Sippy of water. My checkbook was drenched, my babysitter’s money dripping. Plus, the water mixed with all these cracker crumbs at the bottom of my bag, creating this nasty paste that kicked off my gag reflex when I tried to clean it out. (Welcome to parenthood!) Thank Goodness, though, that my bag is a Holly Aiken. She’s local, out of Raleigh, and I LOVE her stuff. Not just because it’s so cute, and fashionable (which it is) but also because once I DO remove the cracker-paste-dripping-checkbook-damp-cash, all I have to do is wipe the inside with a damp paper towel and it’s good to go. No mess, no fuss, no leather ruined for life. Hooray! I mean, ideally, I’d just stop trying to carry drinks in my bag and keep the crackers out as well. Again, though, can’t have everything….