It’s Tuesday afternoon, and I’m just finished a REALLY long work day, which means I have exactly, like, two brains cells still functioning. To me, a good day of hard writing and/or revising is like an intense workout. You (i.e. me) always procrastinate a bit, dread starting, but then get lost in it and feel SO good when you’re done. Plus, there’s the same kind of good tired feeling you get after a good run. Which is different from bad tired you get when, say, your toddler is up at 3:30 am for no good reason and neither one of you ever really gets back to sleep.
But the blog needs to be written, brain cells or not. So to make it easier on myself, I’m going to skip doing a full-on entry and instead do a quick list of Good Things. You know, things I’m just loving right now. You might love them too. Or, you might hate them. But I can’t think about that, because I only have two brain cells. So here we go.
1. My iPhone. Okay, okay, I promise not to go on about this too much. But it’s the truth. If my iPhone was a person, I’d be having an affair. I love it THAT MUCH. It’s like my technological soulmate. Geek love in the extreme. I can’t stop messing with it. Yes, I am that person who is always playing with their phone. I’m not proud. Just honest.
2. Zappos. I swear I am not getting paid to say this, or any kind of free merchandise. (I wish!) But I love, love, love Zappos. If they sold groceries I’d never have to leave the house. Yesterday, around noon, I ordered a pair of Ugg slippers I’d had my eye on forever. (I know, it’s a bit late in the season for slippers, but these ones are so great I know I will wear them year round.) An hour later or so, I got an email from Zappos saying they were upgrading me to overnight shipping (which, incidentally, they have done with every single purchase I have made from them). I came home at 11am this morning and they were on the porch waiting for me. Free shipping AND free returns if you don’t like how they fit or look? Come ON! It’s just awesome.
3. Hershey’s Special Dark Nuggets with Almonds. All writers have their weird little quirks: having to work at a certain time of day, with a certain kind of music, facing a certain direction. I need my chocolate before I begin, and right now this is my sweet of choice. One nugget, which I savor savor savor, and then buckle down and begin. Delicious, and I can tell myself that because it’s dark chocolate it’s actually good for me. Bonus!
4. Artichoke hearts and garbonzo beans. I’m on a big salad tear right now, and I just discovered these two things that make a plain salad seriously pop. I never in a million years thought I could get excited about eating salad, but I guess it’s part of maturing or something. Add some feta cheese and greek dressing, peppers and tomatoes and cucumbers and maybe shrimp? Shut up! Okay, now I’m starving. Better eat another chocolate.
5. Daily Tea. Okay, so there was a time when I used to shop a lot for myself. I will admit without shame that my Banana Republic card got a serious workout most months. Now, though, I find myself wearing the same thing every day and when I do buy clothes, it’s for my daughter. I love Target and Gap Kids for basics, but for the really fun stuff, I am all about sets from Daily Tea. So cute, and you can mix and match! I just wish they made adult clothes. Then I’d have to think even less about what I wear, which I actually am not sure is even possible.
6. The beach. I have to throw this in here because our first trip of the year is approaching and I just can’t stop thinking about it. I don’t care if it rains the whole time, or is freezing. I just want to BE THERE, and every time I find something else I need to set aside to pack—beach towels, sunscreen, bathing suit—it just makes me happy. If it was up to me, I’d move to the beach, or at least live there part-time. But maybe that would make it less special? I wonder.
7. Pillsbury pre-made pizza crust. You buy this in the refrigerated biscuits section, with the break and bake cookies. Open can (pop!) put on cookie sheet, pre-bake 5 minutes, then top with sauce, mozzarella, and whatever else you want. We like pineapple and ham on half, sausage, green pepper and onion on the other. OH MY GOD it is so good! And if you add a salad with garbanzos and artichoke hearts…off the charts. Seriously. God, why do I keep talking about food?
I think I better stop there, actually, before my mouth starts watering on the keyboard. Although I KNOW I could come up with several more. That’s a nice thing, I guess, when you can always think of more good things. Much better than the alternative, right?