1. Okay, so I know you saw this coming, but I can’t help it. People: Friday Night Lights, probably my favorite TV show (which, as you know, is really saying something, considering how much TV I watch) returns tomorrow night on NBC at 8pm. I’ve been lucky enough to see this season already on DirecTV and still plan to see it from start to finish again, as it is Just That Good. I don’t know what I can do to make people watch this show anymore. I’ve begged, pleaded, cajoled and wheedled. It’s up to you now. But….do it! Please?
2. This week, I’ve been watching the coverage of the Gulf oil spill with such sadness and horror, I can’t even tell you. It’s hard not to feel helpless when you see such destruction affecting so many lives and places. My BF Bianca, green-goddess extraordinaire, turned me onto a way to help, though: donate hair to A Matter of Trust which is collecting it to help absorb the oil from the spill. Who knew your split ends could do so much good? That link is for their Facebook page, and I know there are other organizations that are collecting hair as well. If you know of any other good ones, let me know in the comments and I’ll try to pass them on in a later entry.
3. The other day, I stopped in at my local drugstore to pick up a prescription. Waited my turn, then gave my last name to the girl behind the counter. As she was ringing it up, she said, “Are you a fan of the author Sarah Dessen?” Which was a weird moment, I have to say, especially because my first instinct, God only knows why, was to say, “Oh, God, no. I can’t stand her.” What is WRONG with me? Hello, therapy! Anyway, instead I said that was, um, actually me, and she was so sweet and said how much she liked my books, which was just so great. I have to say, though, that it kind of blows my mind whenever I have people who are in their mid-twenties say they’ve been reading my books for years. It seems like That Summer just came out, like, six months ago, instead of thirteen years. Wow. I guess I AM getting old. Huh.
4. I know I just linked to a Facebook page above, but I have to say I’ve been a little turned off lately by Facebook as an entity. It seems like they just keep changing it, and every time my privacy settings get tweaked without me realizing it. I am sure there is a good reason for this, business-wise, but it’s unsettling. My friend Allison was just Tweeting that she’s ready for the Next Big Thing, social networking-wise, and I have to agree, I’m kind of up for a change as well. Especially if it lets me have some privacy and finds a good formula, then sticks with it, instead of always switching it up. On the other hand, the last thing I really need is something else to waste my time on. Oh, technology. I can’t quit you!
5. Finally, a heads-up that I won’t be blogging on a regular schedule for a little while, as I am packing up and heading to the beach for a bit. Of course, if there is breaking news or Bret Michaels needs my personal attention, I will be back here immediately, you KNOW that. But these last few months have been crazy, and I need some sleep and a shrimpburger. Or twelve. Hopefully when you hear from me next I will be rested and cognizant and interesting again. Gosh, I sure hope so anyway.