1. Okay, so this will be a quick five, as I’m in the midst of packing up to move back home. Hooray! It’s been really more fun than I expected staying in town, mostly because of the food. I think I’ve gained about five pounds, but it’s been worth every pizza slice. (Pepper’s Pizza, the best in Chapel Hill, delivered to the door? Are you KIDDING me?) Also dangerous: being so close to so many retail outlets. It is good for my checkbook that I normally live a long way from Best Buy and Bed, Bath and Beyond. So there you have it. If I lived here all the time, I’d be a lot bigger and probably broke. Gotta love the country!
2. Last night I had a second movie and dinner night with my friends Dana and Courtney. We ate at this really good vegetarian place called Sage (the Gnocchi was to DIE for, not even kidding: see how I’m all about food right now?) then went to see Eat, Pray, Love. I have to say, the movie was shot beautifully, and it made me want to travel. And Julia Roberts has never looked so gorgeous and real. But….the movie itself was a bit too long for me. And a little whiny, if I’m totally honest. I just don’t think I’m at a place in my life where I can feel too sorry for someone who gets paid to get away by themselves for a year and eat pizza, meditate and ride a bike around Bali. I mean, I’m lucky to get to shower these days without someone banging on the door to get in. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a good movie, just not the movie for me right at this time. At any rate, it really didn’t matter anyway. It’s been SO long since I’ve seen two movies in such quick succession. I’d watch anything, I swear! Plus the popcorn: so good.
3. This house where we’ve been staying in on a busy road, right near a main bypass here in Chapel Hill. So right now, I’m doing an experiment. We brought this toy horse with us that I realized my daughter has fully outgrown: she can’t even ride it, her legs are too long. So a few minutes ago, I stuck it outside, right by the three way stopsign, with a sign that said FREE TO TAKE. I am curious how long it takes for someone to pick it up. I mean, someone needs a pink horse, right? They have to! Stay tuned.
4. I got the MOST exciting comment from someone about my fave show, Friday Night Lights. Apparently, they are going to start running it FROM THE BEGINNING on ABC Family on Sept 7th. I have not confirmed this date, am just trusting the poster. But EW reports they will begin running in September. So if you want to see what all the fuss is about (or why I make such a fuss) set your DVR. And prepare to decide if you are a Saracen or Riggins person. Once you watch, you’ll know what I’m talking about.
5. There’s nothing like being away from home to make you appreciate what you’ve got. Sure, the pizzas been great, and the grocery store just a hop away, and all the shopping (great for me, if not my bank account). But later today, I’ll be back in the country, with the deer walking past the windows, the hawks circle over, seeing bright, bright stars and no headlights passing by. I’m leaving town just as everyone is coming back, which is sort of bizarre. I grew up right here in town, but my life now is past the city limits. Can’t wait to get back to it.