1. First off, thank you SO MUCH to all the Bethesda/DC readers for coming out to my event at the library with Politics and Prose bookshop yesterday. It was the last day of school, so I KNOW people had a lot going on, so it meant even more that I had such a huge turnout. Added bonus: I got a necklace from Melanie, a fantastic poster from Kelsey, and a sweet card from Kaila. You guys rock. Thank you so, so much.
2. Today, I head off to Houston, TX to do an event at the Refuge with Blue Willow Bookshop. It’s at 7pm, and what’s totally awesome is that it is also a food drive. So if you come, try to bring a can or two. Regular readers know that I am a HUGE supporter of my state food bank (The Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC) so this is a cause that is near and dear to my heart. You might not know it, but a LOT of kids depend on school lunch for food, and when school ends, that regular meal ends as well. So food banks—in NC, or TX, or anywhere—really need extra help for families during the summer months. Personally I am hoping there is a grocery store near my Texas hotel so I can show up with some soup or vegetables or, my personal fave, Ramen noodles. Everyone loves Ramen!
3. I got to sleep in this morning for the first time in awhile—and by sleeping in, I mean 7am, that’s as late as my body can do—but for some reason I am STILL yawning. Even after coffee! Lots of it! I think sleeping in actually makes me MORE tired, which is just some kind of sick joke that is not even funny. Thankfully, I have a flight in a bit and am armed with my new best friend, the travel pillow I bought when this tour began. It is smooshy and soft and I have named it Riggins. We are in an intense, plane-sleep based relationship that I am going to be sad to see end come July. Oh, Riggins. We’ll always have the tour!
4. Confession: as I write this, I am watching The Bachelorette on Hulu. I know, I know. I didn’t think it could get much worse than my ongoing Housewives habit. Personally, I blame author Jennifer Weiner, who LOVES the Bachelor and Bachelorette and live-tweets them while they are on, for peaking my interest and sucking me in. Thankfully, I balance my TV watching with reading. I just finished Jonathan Tropper’s HOW TO TALK TO A WIDOWER (I am obsessed with him as well, to be honest) and am moving on now to THE LONELY POLYGAMIST by Brady Udall, which is supposed to be great. When I am not snuggling with Riggins, snoozing on the plane, I’ll be reading as much as possible. Because once I am home, it is BACK ON with Mommy-world. Gotta suck up this quiet time while I can. Although I am already homesick, and I haven’t even been gone 24 hrs. That’s how it goes, I guess.
5. Okay, I REALLY need a number 5 but it’s time to leave for the airport, so….insert some pop-culture/stress description/FNL plug/coffee discussion/cute story about my kid right here. I’ll give you a minute. Got it? Good!
Have a good weekend, everyone!