1. This is where I’ll by tomorrow afternoon:
For now, though, I am here in my house, which is in its normal chaos. My kid has been up since 5:15, won’t eat her breakfast. Dogs are barking. Laundry and a million other things need to be done before we leave, our decorators are coming for a meeting in about an hour AND I know already I’m forgetting something crucial that has to be done today. When I think of these things, I feel my head start to spin but then…look at this picture above. And breathe. And repeat. As necessary.
2. Speaking of good things to remember, this week I finally found something I’d been really wanting/needing. I considered getting it as a tattoo, but my husband has enough of those for both of us. Also, there’s the pain factor. And the what-if-I-get-tired-of-it factor. Enter this bracelet, which I got from a shop called STONZ on Etsy:
This Too Shall Pass. Whatever it is, good or bad, this is the one thing you can always count on. They have it on rings, too! You can find them here.
3. Last night was date night. I put on a little black dress, some summer platform sandals, straightened my hair. I was even kind of glam! We went to dinner at 411 West, one of my fave Chapel Hill places, had a great meal and wine. Then, driving up the driveway on the way home, we saw it: our Little Chickens, which we’d just put in with the Bigs that very day, had all literally flown the coop. They were all over the place, and it was getting dark fast. So much for the romance: we did a quick change and bolted out there, where I grabbed a shovel and shooed them towards my husband, who chased them, picked them up while squawking and freaking out, and put them back in the coop. It was madness, and I was REALLY glad I’d changed out of my nice clothes because chickens aren’t exactly dainty under the best conditions, but when running/terrified, they just…well, you can imagine. Whew! I kept thinking that this was so much what our marriage is like these days: sweet, short moments of romance and loveliness, peppered with chaos, crazy, and chickens. Well, at least it’s never dull. Like, ever.
4. I’ve been hearing from a lot of folks here and on Twitter/Tumblr, wondering why it’s going to be a WHOLE YEAR before my new book is out. Well, there are reasons. One is that I am, at least for YA, a “slow” writer. It takes me about a year to write a book, followed by editing, copyediting, marketing plans, tour plans…there’s just not a fast turnaround. It takes time! But hopefully, it will be worth the wait. In the meantime, there’s going to be OTHER fun book stuff happening this summer that is SO TOP SECRET that I can’t even tell you about it yet. That’s coming up at the end of this month, so stay tuned. I’m also thinking I might have to do some superfun giveaway whenever I hit 200,000 followers on Twitter. Only 15K or so to go! (Okay, it might take awhile. But it’s good to have goals, right?)
5. Finally, a more serious note. You might have seen the news this week that Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook, is incorporating a way to list if you are an organ donor on your status. It won’t make you officially a donor—you have to do that at the DMV, I believe—but it’s a way of encouraging people to think about whether or not they want to be donors and get a conversation going about what a great need there is for them. This is close to my heart right now, as I have a cousin who just two weeks ago had a lung transplant she desperately needed, all because someone checked that box and made that choice. I have another cousin who is currently on the list for a transplant as well. I know organ donation is a delicate and emotional subject, and it’s not for everyone. But if you haven’t considered it, please do. You can literally save a life.
Okay, off to pack. Have a good weekend, everyone!