1. I’m here in New York, after the LONGEST day ever yesterday, watching GMA in my hotel room. My feet hurt, I need to pack up, and tomorrow at home I’ve got Disney On Ice with my kid, which I have a FEELING will be very intense for both of us. So this Five is going to be quick one, if only because I signed a BUNCH of galleys yesterday as well, so my hands are as sore as my feet. Whew!
2. Okay, but the BIG thing yesterday was this super secret thing I couldn’t tweet, blog or even really talk about. A couple of weeks back, I got the SWEETEST email from this guy David, whose girlfriend Rachel loves my books. He was wondering if I was going to be in New York anytime soon because he was HOPING he could 1) introduce her to to me and 2) have me be part of him asking her to marry him. I mean, HELLO! How often do you get to be a part of something so romantic? I could not resist. So we went back and forth, emailing and planning, and then last night it was finally happening. I brought my friends Elyse and Leigh with me, as they are ALSO huge romantics, and we met as scheduled at a gelato place. He and Rachel came up in line behind us and I turned around and smiled, then said hello. Her eyes went wide. (So, whew, she did know who I was.) She was sputtering and so surprised and I said, “Oh, David just wanted us to meet!” and she was still kind of sputtering but we took a walk and then sat down and talked about writing and high school and life in general. After about a half hour, I said, “Well, I should go,” and David said they’d walk me back to my friends. He’d already told me that the guy playing the guitar under the lit-up arch at this market was there for the proposal, so when we got there, I said, “Oh, I almost forgot, I have a book for you.” It was a copy of THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER, which David had told me was her favorite book. Earlier we’d done this total high-intrigue top-secret book signing, made possible by my friend Elyse, who stealthily met David at a restaurant, then ran back to give ME the book so I could give it to Rachel. Which I did. Inside, I’d said if this was her forever, it’s a pretty great one, and David wrote something incredibly sweet beneath it. While she was reading the inscription in front of me, HE was getting down on one knee behind her. She said, “Thank you so much!” for the book and I said, “I think you should turn around now.” She did, and saw him, and OH MY GOD IT WAS THE SWEETEST THING EVER. Everyone nearby stopped what they were going, the guitar guy was playing Sam Cooke, and when she said yes everyone cheered. I still get chills thinking about it. Just so, so amazing. I was honored to be a part of it, and wish them all the best in the world. Forever.
3. I don’t even know how to follow that, seriously. How can I even try? How about a picture of me with Miss National Sweetheart, who I met while watching GMA from inside the studio yesterday? I was TOTALLY coveting her crown and sash and she was SO sweet she said, “Oh, they have pageants for people your age, too.” Which I am sure they do, but I do not think I have what it takes, sadly. I mean, just look at the picture. She looks great and runway ready, whereas I…look like I’ve been up since 5:15. Oh, well.
4. Yes, so I DID get to GMA, and I was out in Times Square with My People (fellow huge GMA fans) and it was COLD. And I did not have a tiara or sash, which I thought I might need to get inside. But it was a fun scene and everyone was laughing and getting SO excited whenever Sam or Josh or Lara or George walked across the room (as I said, my people). Then my friend Cap, who is a stagehand there, and who I met on another visit when I got inside, saw me through the window. She gave me this look, then said, “What are you DOING?” I was like, “What do you mean?” She sighed, visibly. Was like, “Do you WANT to come in?” (This was all with hand gestures, by the way.) Another sigh, and she pointed to the stage door. And I was in!
5. So, yes, it’s been a busy couple of days. I need to pack and gear up for home and my kid and the puppy and chickens and, you know, all the chaos. Oh, and did I mention Disney on Ice? Yikes. But for now, I will have a nice breakfast, soak up all the city I can, and then take my country mouse self back where I belong. Next year, I’m going to be doing a LOT of blogs and tweets from hotel rooms, this I know. But for now, I’m happy to get back to NC. Oh, and this:
Yeah. Pretty nice.
Have a great weekend, everyone!